Tales of my time as an English language assistant in France!

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Luchon: Départ, Bien Fatiguées!

Would have been lazier if I hadn't known that brekky started at 8am, but headed down near 9. Started the day with juice, a croissant, bread, butter, jam, and a hot chocolate, so that was pretty positive in my opinion!

Went off for a wee mission up a walking track we'd spied the previous day. We were up in the snow (even though it was a fairly light coating) and there were some icy patches...



Had some great views over the town, even though we had to sneak over/under/around some fallen trees.



Went back to the hotel to check out, but still had about an hour before our train, so set off in another direction to get maximal exploration. Felt quite at home when we discovered the local rugby stadium... but imagine heading out to play in your stubbies (rugby shorts) during winter when you're that close to the mountains! Brr!



You can't really see, but Kingi is on the scrum machine here. Think he was keen for a game.


Found out that our train was, in fact, a bus. This turned out to be kinda good, because we went through some little towns and got some sweet mountain views. And it was so warm... Kate and I were both getting really sleepy!

Bus reached terminus in Montréjeau, where we had two hours wait before our connecting train back to our respective towns. We hadn't eaten, and had the smart idea that we could use that time for eating. Not a smart idea. Montréjeau was tiny (or, the part of it near the train station was) and the few shops near it were shut. I guess it was Sunday, and a small place, so what can you expect. But still. We were reduced to hanging out at the train station, making the most of the vending machines there, and watching a movie on Kate's laptop.

Saint Gaudens is the next stop after Montréjeau so, had I been keen enough to try, I could probably have walked home in that 2 hours. But, anyway. As I was walking back home, feeling very cold, some random dude stopped an offered me a lift, which I accepted gratefully. Turns out he spoke pretty decent English (as he was a geologist and had worked on an oil rig).

May be hard to go back to speaking French after a very English-speaking weekend...

2 comments:

  1. Those steps look dangerous Libby!

    Thanks for keeping a public diary, I've enjoyed reading the differences you noticed. I have to say my favourite is the umbrella stands back in HK but the strikes in France are pretty cool. The French seem like rebels, striking all the time, burning bastille, throwing a casual revolution!

    Cool lots of archi pics and your archi postcard. Cheers for that, we like hearing from you and your travels. I'll have to follow in your footsteps :)

    Have a wonderful time,
    Hamish and the Byrne bunch

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Hamish and crew... good to hear from home!

    Yeah, you'd love all the buildings over here. I do! I think you'd have a ball.

    The French themselves admit that they are never satisfied. It's pretty classic!

    ReplyDelete