Tales of my time as an English language assistant in France!

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Finca and on to Sevilla

Right, let's see what I can remember approximately 5 months on.  It's about now that I'm thankful that I kept the itinerary, with what we did and when...


First pic was taken on the road between Granada and Sevilla.


Before we got to Sevilla, we made a stop in a 'finca de toros' (bull farm).  We got the full tour, sitting on bales of hay on a tractor trailer, and heard about various aspects of raising the bulls.  From what I recall, they have a relatively peaceful life (up until the day they step in the ring, of course), although they are kind of 'tested' at some point.  I've forgotten exactly what they did as, apparently, you're not allowed to test how good a bull will be at bull-fighting by actually getting it to fight.  Logical, right?  But there is some kind of rule that they can't be 'trained' so, when they face the red flag, it's for the first time.  Unless the beat the toreador last time, I suppose...


Afterwards, we got to have a go with the cape.  It's heavy!  Unfortunately, I don't have the photo of me, as it was taken on someone else's camera.  I'll try to get it emailed to me, though.


When we arrived in Sevilla, we checked out the Plaza de Espana.  As you can see below, it's blimmin impressive.  It's completely surrounded by huge buildings like this, and there are horses and carts trotting around the middle of it.  You could definitely spend a while there.


This was taken on our guided tour of the city.  Our group was too big for me to hear what the guide was saying at the front (en francais, en plus), but it was a nice wander through the streets.  The tower you can see is part of the Cathedral: called la Giralda, because a part at the top spins around.


The students (and accompanying adults) were then given free time.  Yes, I think all were equally pleased.  When us responsible adults finished our shopping and drink-taking, we headed back to the rendez-vous point to find a group of Spanish girls singing, dancing, and generally showing off; being encouraged, of course, by the male members of our party.  Ah, Spanish exuberance!

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment