Tales of my time as an English language assistant in France!

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Contact with Schools, and Past Assistants' Knowledge

A few more important things have happened, so it's time for an update!

  1. I reapplied for my visa, and it has been processed and arrived at Mum & Dad's place. Hooray! I am now officially allowed into France, which is a very good thing. However, it was interesting that my (this time) carefully-selected, signature required envelope was simply left in the letterbox. Then again, it's still a big improvement on last time.
  2. One of my schools replied to my email! Huzzah. While they didn't offer me a lot of info, they did respond to the questions I had asked, and the principal's secretary (who responded) was also going to forward my email to the assistant coordinator for the school.
    They also said that I
    may be able to get accommodation at one of the collèges that I'm teaching at. Fingers crossed for that. (Really would like to have a bit more certainty than that at this stage, but anyway. Apparently, this is typically French!)
  3. I caught up with a former assistant over lunch one day, and it was good to get her insider knowledge. Apparently, I need to be prepared for some teachers not to be too bothered about whatever I teach the students. And I probably will be alone with the class, even if I'm told otherwise. I need to get into all my paperwork as soon as humanly possible, and expect the processing to take a long time. She even had one guy ignore her when she spoke because he thought her French was bad!
    However, I can also expect an awesome time. :)
It really is only a matter of weeks now, which is insane. I think I've gained a new appreciation of my current life, probably helped along by the imminent changes. Anyway, am making the most of it while I'm still here!

No comments:

Post a Comment