Tales of my time as an English language assistant in France!

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Only Lyon (1)

When I was planning my trip, I did briefly wonder if I was silly to go to Lyon just for a day and a half. After having done it, I must say that it was definitely worth it. Nice place, even though I only really saw the old area.

Arrived in the afternoon and, after staring at Metro maps for a while, worked out where I should be going, and then managed to find my way to my hostel.

What a sweet hostel location! Fully recommend the HI youth hostel in old Lyon (montee du Chemin Neuf). It must be absolutely wicked in summer, as it's on the hillside, with an amazing view over Lyon, and there's a terrace outside where you can sit and have a drink/meal/whatever.



Dropped of my stuff, had an net fix, and set off again. First stop was the Basilisque Notre-Dame de la Fourviere, for two reasons. a) It was close to my hostel. b) A nice Korean girl who had been in the hostel room with me in Nice had recommended it. Donc, ca tombait bien.



Since I have the stats, I'll give them: 66m long, 19m wide, and 27m tall at the highest point of the ceiling. And very detailed inside... as I didn't see any 'no photos' signs, and other people were taking photos, I joined in.



By the time I'd looked around up there and walked back down to Old Lyon, it was getting towards dinner time. So, I wandered the streets a bit, searching for something cheap.

And then I ended up by the river and noticed how pretty the place looked all lit up. So, of course, I was obliged to 'flaner' for a bit, strolling along the riverbanks, crossing and re-crossing the river as I came to different bridges.


Eventually, I got hungry and went back to Old Lyon for takeaway-chain pasta. With vodka sauce... I was too intrigued to go past that. Although I couldn't really taste any vodka. Hm.

Hard as it was to tear myself away from the pretty sights of Lyon at night (think it's almost prettier at night than in the day!), I thought I'd better go back and get an early night. But I failed, because I got sidetracked on the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment