Tales of my time as an English language assistant in France!

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Funniest Teaching Moments So Far

  1. Students' reactions to NZ notes: "C'est moche!" (ie, It's ugly!) This has happened in 2 different classes!
  2. One class which, when I asked what there is to do in Saint Gaudens, suggested I hire a car and go to McDonalds.
  3. Getting a class to design their own McDonalds hamburger, and having one student design an epic burger with ingredients such as bolognese, chocolate, pasta and honey. Yes, it was a boy.
  4. Using 'Put Another Log On The Fire' in one class. The girls are like "What is up with this song?" and one of the boys is like "It's good!"
  5. One student's temporary mind blank: I hear him asking his friends how to say something, and tell him to ask me in English. He looks at me for a minute, then turns back to his friends and says "How do you say 'how do you say'?"
  6. Listening to a class full of 12 to 13-year-olds singing along to 'Weather With You,' despite the fact that they don't really know the song.
  7. Having a student tell me he wouldn't want to be a teacher, because he would want to hit students that weren't behaving.
  8. Trying (and failing epically) to explain to a class of approx 17 year-olds why the pick-up line "Baby, you must be a broom, because you just swept me off my feet" was funny. So much for trying to lighten up a lesson on household chores!

No comments:

Post a Comment