Tales of my time as an English language assistant in France!

Saturday, November 13, 2010

It's Hip To Be Square

I've decided that one thing which is really lacking in NZ is town squares. They're awesome... France has got it going on. It's the perfect place to have a market, sit and have a meal or coffee, put a sweet monument, meet up with your friends... or protest (well, we are talking about France, here). And they're particularly cool when they're -um, how to describe?- stone cobbled. If that makes sense.
I guess we have parks and pedestrain streets and stuff, but I can't think off too many places in NZ with an actual focal point square. Could be wrong? The Octagon comes to mind... but, apart from that, our 'town squares' aren't really that lively.
I have many pictures of the squares here in Bordeaux, but sadly can't upload atm. Will do my best to rectify this soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment