Tales of my time as an English language assistant in France!

Thursday, March 24, 2011

French Songs That Are Worth Checking Out

  1. On Demande Pas A La Lune, les Enfoirés: done by 'les Enfoirés' as a fundraiser for Restos du Coeur. It's adapted from this (I think). Warning, may get stuck in your head and cause your flatmate to tell you to 'switch off.'
  2. Le Long de la Route, Zaz: Upbeat, catchy, kinda jazzy... Zaz is cool. I like her stuff. This song also gets bonus points for the line: 'C'est con... c'est con peut-être trop con...'
  3. Pourquoi C'est Beau, Christophe Maé: Kind of summery chill-out, but catchy chorus! Quite philosophical when you listen to the words, too.
  4. Celui, Colonel Rayel : It's just so damn catchy and has cool African vibes! The singer's bio says he's the 'new soldier in the army of Dancehall music from the Antilles of France', and describes this song as 'ragga-zouk.'
  5. Soulman, Ben l'Oncle: Laid-back, absolute awesomeness, coupled with extreme catchiness. Everyone wants to be a soulman.
  6. Only half in French, but Heartless with Justin Nozuka and Zaho: it's pretty! Original version by Zaho here... she has a beautiful voice! It's a lot slower and more mellow.
  7. Debout Pour Danser, Collectif Métissé: so tropical and infectious that you will want to stand up and dance!
  8. Toi et Moi, Guillaume Grand: I have this guy's CD and I rather like. Can't really think how to describe his music. Your typical young-man pop-ish, guitary stuff, I suppose?
  9. Que Je T'Aime, Johnny Hallyday: A rather old classic, but I think it's a goodie. It certainly stuck in my head from the first time I heard it (the chorus anyway). Apparently, Johnny did a great deal towards making rock popular in France.
  10. Angela, Yannick Noah: This is catchy (chorus especially) and easy to listen to, as well! Plus, the singer's a member of the International Tennis Hall of Fame! Video has a bit of a slow start though!
There will be plenty more that I've missed but, for now, a starter!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, can you tell me the title of the song in this video? I've been trying to find out about it, but to no avail. I believe it is French and I find it catchy but can't even google the lyrics. http://youtu.be/RC-A4MRh3wI I'll come back to this page to check. thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete