Tales of my time as an English language assistant in France!

Saturday, March 5, 2011

The Summer Wind: Narbonne (1)

After another enjoyable train trip, I was in Narbonne, where "the summer wind came blowin' in from across the sea."


Hostel was said to be only 600m from the station, but someone had mentioned in a review that it was a bit hard to find. Ca, oui. Reckon I spent about half an hour wandering around in search of it (room-mate said the same), and ended up having to ask at the tourist office. Turned out I had - by chance - walked right past it, but it was called something different to what I'd booked it as!? Considering it was right next to the gigantic cathedral, I think it probably would have been a good idea to put that in the directions given on the web, instead of '600m from station.'


Aaanyway, really nice staff at the place, and once again I had wifi. Joys! Went out for a random wander around the place that evening. It's a pretty nice place, old Narbonne. Lots of narrow, old streets, little squares, monuments... not to mention the nice canal running right through the middle of it. And, where there's a canal, there are bridges. And bridges are always cool.



Also cool is the Via Domitia: this is part of the rediscovered route that used to link Italy and Spain. Construction was started in 118 BEFORE JESUS CHRIST! As my tourist map points out, this is 21 centuries old... it blows my mind!


My walk turned practical as I got a bit hungrier. Being Monday, not a lot seemed to be open and, given to cold and getting-dark-ness, I wasn't keen on getting anything take-away. So, after doing a circuit of the town centre, I ended up going to a proper restaurant. This worked out well, as I got a cassoulet: something I was told I had to try before leaving France.

Thanks, Wikipedia: Cassoulet (from Occitan caçolet [kasuˈlet], French: [kasuˈlɛ]) is a rich, slow-cooked bean stew or casserole originating in the south of France, containing meat (typically pork sausages, pork, goose, duck and sometimes mutton), pork skin (couennes) and white haricot beans. The dish is named after its traditional cooking vessel, the cassole, a deep, round, earthenware pot with slanting sides.


After this, I decided to head back to the hostel, as it was bloody cold. Narbonne made me realise that I've got unused to the wind since being here. Saint Gaudens is more of a still, mountain coldness. Narbonne is Wellington. ;p Even in Spring-ish time, apparently. Also, did I mention that I had wifi at the hostel? I was therefore able to spend a (warm) evening leisurely surfing the net; something I hadn't been able to do for a long time!

No comments:

Post a Comment