Tales of my time as an English language assistant in France!

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Paradise, Otherwise Known as Perpignan

School holidays again, so I'm off on a Mediterranean mission.

Hopped on a train in Saint Go, and 4 or so hours and 3 trains later got to Perpignan. Have to say, I could happily have spent longer on the train admiring the views! Was feeling like I was in paradise looking out the window.





Arrived at about 5, so decided it would be a good idea to get checked into the hotel. Due to the
youth hostel not being open, I only booked myself 1 night in Perpignan, as hotels are expensive. And this one was kinda far away... like 6km from the station. But I was supposed to be able to get a bus.

Ended up having a wander (trying to find a bus stop for the right line), kebab and buying the next day's breakfast in town while trying to work out the buses.



In sum: epic fail.
I saw hotels for the same price that were right by the train station. D'oh.
Don't think the bus lines I needed were running on Sunday. Got a taxi. 20E later... The driver was nice, though. Turned out he was from Toulouse and had lived in Saint Gaudens back in the day.
As taxi driver said: absolutely nothing going on at/around this hotel, as it was in a commercial centre.

HOWEVER, I did have wifi. Did I maybe Skype about 4 people in the short time I was there? Oh yes. Oh, the joys. And a nice double bed all to myself... private bathroom. Satellite tv...

Next day, it was mission on (well, after two Skype calls to NZ). I set off to find the bus stop, following the hotel man's directions. I got lost. I asked some people in the street, and eventually got there. Bus only cost about 1E50... great success!

By the time I got into town, it was about 11am, and my train was at 3.30pm. So, it was to be Perpignan on speed.


Managed to check out the Cathédrale Saint-Jean, which was pretty blimmin impressive. According to this site, its construction - started in 1324 - was interrupted by wars between the Kings of Majorque and the Kings of Aragon, and the plague. And then they were too poor to continue it for some time!
Lit a candle for the Christchurch Earthquake victims (/the victims of the 2008 Airbus crash, since Dad had reminded me about that). Put it by the little chapel that I thought had the nicest paintings on the walls.


Just next to the Cathedral, was Campo Santo: the oldest and largest funeral cloister (built in the 14th century).
Interesting facts: after the French Revolution, it was in a bad state, and the Army took over it to use it as a warehouse and stables. Later on (approx 1905 - 1984) Gendarmes were stationed in the seminary.


Then I took off to the Palais des Rois de Majorque (recommended by the nice taxi driver). Wow, definitely worth a look. 4E to go through, but the views from up the top of the Tour de l'Hommage are fully worth that 4E (and you get to see the rest of the castle too). Although, if people were feeling stingy, you can get some pretty decent views from the area you don't have to pay to get to. (See embedded panoramas in previous post!)


Have to say, for the actual castle itself, I liked the one at Pau better. But it was still neat to have a look around, and imagine what the castle walls must have seen throughout the years. Had to keep an eye on the time, though, as was conscious of my train departure time looming.

However, success! I got to the train, with time to spare, AND managed to grab a filled roll and a drink on the way. 3pm lunch... well, I am pretty near Spain, so I guess I can eat à l'espagnole!

No comments:

Post a Comment