Tales of my time as an English language assistant in France!

Friday, October 8, 2010

Amusing moments of the past few days

  • The school cook and one of the surveillants offering to be porters for me on my way back to NZ... so they can come to the Rugby World Cup. The same surveillant then decided he wasn't going to talk to me any more when I admitted that I don't really understand/like rugby.
  • Flatmate, Xavier, singing his own version of 'New York, New York' (entitled 'Toulouse, Toulouse') while we were waiting for the train to the aformentioned town.
  • The SNCF (train network) dude asking me if one of my friends was married. Unfortunately for him, she is.
  • The following piece of graffiti. I don't know how well the tagger thought this one through.
  • Sitting in our assistantship training as they compared phonetic transcriptions for the British and American accents, and having Kate say "let's just hope they don't expect us to teach the difference between 'bear' and 'beer'!" Then, on the train home, trying to practise this by faking a posh British accent and saying "I went to the woods and saw a bear. But, I went to the pub and had a beer."
  • Spending a day flipping between French and English so much that I tried to tell Kate that a ticket stamping machine "did the même chose to Anabel."

No comments:

Post a Comment