Tales of my time as an English language assistant in France!

Saturday, October 2, 2010

We Love Barcelona

Wow, very cool place. The favourite for me, Mum and Dad! (Even though it took the authorities about 2 hours to give me a piece of paper declaraing that I had arrived in the country.)
Dad & I got very trigger happy with our cameras because everywhere that we looked was worthy of a photo. Loved the old buildings, the water, the weather, the views across the city... It just had a really nice feel to it. We arrived when they were having their patron saint's festival (Mercè), so there were a few times when we stumbled upon music or some kind of performance, which was just taking place in the street. Managed to have tapas and paella for tea on our first night too, so felt that we were really fitting in!
Did another bus tour, which allowed us to see a lot of the city in a short time. Definitely need to share photos from the two bus stops where we got off.
Sagrada familia: Gaudí's big project, started hundreds of years ago, and still not finished. Apparently, Gaudí thought God wouldn't be too worried about how long it took. And it is magnificent; good things take time. ;p
Parc Güell: Gaudí again! Had lots of different levels, and I'm sure we only saw a small part of it. Nice to be in a green area, and there were stone overpasses, pathways, buskers scattered throughout, and fantastic views across Barcelona.


We also had a great hotel and room in the Barrí Gótico. We looked out (from our balcony) across a little square, with a fancy statue, and were close to the harbour. AND the man on reception was good about letting me practise my Spanish. The thing I love about visiting countries that speak another language is that you can get a real buzz out of doing something really simple, like asking for information about bus tours and understanding the answer! Then again, it may just be me, 'cos I'm a language nerd.


No comments:

Post a Comment