Tales of my time as an English language assistant in France!

Friday, October 15, 2010

Strikes as a Spectator Sport

Ladies and Gentleman, today I was presented with a most French experience: la grève. And, to accompany it: la manif (demonstration... the full word is manifestation but perhaps it is a more popular passtime here than I realised, as the name has been shortened!)

I had been told by a few staff members that there was a strike today, but hadn't really thought much of it. Turned up to the lycée (senior high school) this afternoon, expecting to have about 4 classes. Au contraire, I didn't end up having any as, even if the teacher was there, there weren't many students. Apparently, even the school buses were affected. I'm sure the students were heartbroken about this.

Walking home from the lycée, I noticed a suspicious number of people in the streets, all heading in the same general direction... It was only about 3pm so couldn't even blame it on the end of the work day. When I got closer to the town square, I could see some speakers surrounding a little step-ladder, and a Police car patrolling the area. So, there was indeed going to be a manif! And, of course, on the one day I didn't have my camera with me in my bag.

I came home to my room at the collège and decided to start reading my next book. The manifesteurs (I don't know if that's a word, but I'm going to use it anyway) had other ideas. Their street march having started, the sounds of chanting, drums beating and random instruments were making it difficult to concentrate. Eventually, I decided. If you can't beat them, join them. I, too, was dans la rue (taking to the street)...

Flags, signs, noise-makers of all kinds. Adults, young people, families.

Then, something amazing happened: I saw someone I knew! (It hasn't been happening much over here.) One of the teachers from the lycée came over and asked if I wanted to join in. She then asked if the manif surprised/amazed me. My answer: "yes, I've never seen so many people in the town!" Anywho, I hung about on the outskirts, taking a few photos to show you folk just how the French strikes were, and hoping that no-one would tell me it wasn't something to take photos of.

I was also amused to see a Policewoman, who was (I think) semi-marshalling traffic and keeping an eye on things, spot an acquaintance in the large group of manifesteurs and go over to faire la bise (ie greet with a kiss). And amused by a man who stopped in the street to talk to his friend... who was hanging out of a window about two floors up.

After a parade around the town centre, the manifestation seemed to be nearly finished. Some people, indeed, were sneaking off. I watched the drummers continue their display (had nothing on 7Bat's drum corps, though) and listened to a bit of "all together" chanting, before deciding that was enough of a cultural experience for one day.

Judging by the number of people wearing stickers saying "ni pauvre, ni soumis" (neither poor, nor submissive - from what I can gather) and sitting outside cafés, that seems to be the thing to do after a manif. I, on the other hand, just went back home.

When I got to the park outside my school, I smelt something that reminded me of fireworks, and saw a group of young boys crowded around a rubbish bin. Sure enough, within seconds, they all sprinted away from it and there was a decent bang. Judging by the four or five other bangs which I heard from my room, it took a few tries for them to get sick of this. Typical. Wherever in the world you are, boys will be boys!

Pix to follow... thought I had them on my USB, but now can't find them. Fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment