Tales of my time as an English language assistant in France!

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Tour of Saint-Go

Spent a good couple of hours following a signposted route around central Saint-Gaudens today, and actually reading the signs so that I could learn a bit more about the history of the area I'm wandering around in each day. Of course, I've already forgotten most of it, but that's why I took pictures of lots of the signs. ;p Not that they're far from home if I ever need to check facts.
Have just included a few photos here, to give you a general idea of the village.La Collégiale: in the centre of town. I, of course, have forgotten when it was built, but I do recall that it has been added to on a couple of occasions, and is still in use as a 'house of God.'

Fairly typical architecture: one of the signs told me about these 'galleries' on the top floor of the houses. Designed to get as much sun as possible, give easy access to the outdoors, and maybe even a bit of extra living room. I think most of them are houses, but Sud31 is a real estate office.

View from below the Collégiale, looking towards the train station (and the factory, and the Pyrénées). The panoramic table thing at the base of the photo says what the different peaks in the Pyrénées are, and also gives direction of and distance to various cities of the world. NZ didn't rate a mention, but Sydney was there. Actually, I was highly amused to see what looked like 'Borat' marked on there, too!

Rue des Remparts: very close to the centre of town. The street is on a site which was formerly occupied by the town walls! You can kinda see some of the 'galleries' at the top left, but I really took the photo because I thought it was really cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment