Tales of my time as an English language assistant in France!

Friday, October 8, 2010

A week in Saint Gaudens

Hard to believe that I'd never been to Saint Gaudens this time last week! It feels quite familiar already, although that's probably because it's pretty small.

Haven't started teaching yet, but I do have my timetable. It has taken a wee bit of going from school to school, and a bit of hanging around in staff rooms, waiting for teachers to be free, but it is (almost) finished now. Am supposed to be starting all classes next week, although will go to a few on Thurs and Fri this week.It's going to be a bit confusing as, not only is my time shared between three schools, but I'm only going to be in some of the classes once each fortnight. I am sure to end up in the wrong place at some point.
The teachers have all been really nice, and most have been speaking to me in English... feels a bit like cheating, but I guess it's good for them! And I have enough opportunities to speak French to other people, so it shouldn't put me too far behind there. Am pleased to be working with a couple of male teachers as, on thinking about it, I never had a male associate when I did my teacher training in NZ.

Saint Gaudens is a pretty place, with the only blight on the landscape being the local factory! There are heaps of tall, old buildings with shutters and narrow, cobblestoned streets. Can be quite entertaining just to go for a wander - and I have been doing a bit of that, as there isn't too much else entertainment going at the moment. ;p Over the weekend, I found a nice, tree-lined walkway with fitness trail, so guess I should make use of that.
Lodgings are both good and bad. I like my room: it's big, it has basic furniture, it's at one of the schools I teach at and close-ish to the other two. I don't like not having a proper kitchen! It's fine during the week, when I can eat at the school canteen, but I find it a bit frustrating during the weekend to try to feed myself when all I have is a fridge, microwave and hot plate. Ie only a wee desk as kitchen bench, no kitchen equipment, and no sink to wash dishes in...

Also, no tv or internet at the flat at this stage. Really have to check that out with the lady in charge.

Then again, another good point is that I have a flatmate! Xavier, a Spanish assistant at the lycee I'll be teaching at, lives here too. I confess; I haven't been practising my Spanish (we speak French), but it's nice to have a friend! He's pretty hard case, and also into music.

The school cook and the surveillants (who look after the hostel kids) are also really friendly, so can have a good chat with them when I go down to have dinner. Great French practice... although a couple of them are threatening not to talk to me again now that I've admitted I don't really like rugby. (Should have lied.) Cedric, the cook, keeps telling everyone this. Lol, I told him he should stop. I'll have no friends left!

Feeling pretty pleased with myself, as I opened my French bank account today. The proof of ID things that they give you are important for other admin things (like getting paid by the school), so was extra glad to get those pieces of paper. Will also be nice to withdraw $ (or, rather, euro) without the extra fees for the change of currency, and to have a card with a chip so I can actually use it in the machines for train tickets. Sick of queueing already, and I've only done it about twice.

I think this is getting too long to be easily digestible! That's enough for now. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment