Tales of my time as an English language assistant in France!

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The 'Bonus' Day!: Day 4

Was quite stoked that I was gonna have friends for this day, instead of being a loner (as I'd anticipated, lol).

Nicole was determined to check out Galeries Lafayette, so this was the first stop. Very flash, lots of nice Xmas decos, and a cool deck with views over Paris.



Had to do the clichéd thing and get right up to the Eiffel Tower. Had thought about climbing up, but there were huge queues (there had been strikes the previous few days, so I think EVERYONE was there the moment they stopped) so gave up that idea and just did a photo mission, while trying to avoid the trinket-sellers, petition-peddlers and bracelet-sellers.


Another Xmas market mission for lunch, where we discovered the Aveyronnais specialities: aligot and farçou. As they'd say here, 'c'était trop bon' (it was too tasty!). It's like cheesy mashed potato and some yummy pork-ish patty (but it somehow doesn't taste particularly meaty). Definitely worth a try if you get the chance!



Nicole and Agnes then had to head off for their plane, so I decided to go on a wee trip to Montmartre. I think everyone who has seen Amélie wants to go to Montmartre... Was determined just to have a look at the place, especially the Sacré Coeur. Bit of a hike to get up to it from the métro, but I probably needed it after all the tempting food about. Had trouble motivating Kingi, though. As they say, "les escaliers de la Butte sont dures aux miséreux" (the stairs up to the Butte- ie Sacré Coeur -are hard for the destitute... I fear that's a bad translation, but just listen to 'Complainte de la Butte' from Moulin Rouge. Had it in my head the whole time!)



As you'll see from the below photo, it wasn't the best day for me to go and get a panoramic view of Paris, but still cool. Some pretty blimmin impressive paintings and stained-glass windows in this place.



Decided to wander down a street packed with tacky tourist shops and, sure enough, got sucked in by something. What I wasn't counting on was the shopkeeper, who began by asking where I was from (his first guess was Spain), going on to ask what my name was, and to tell me that I was very charming and beautiful, especially when I smiled.

Anywho, back onto the métro and back to the hostel so I could check out the Canal St Martin right beside it... another recommendation from a friend in Saint Gaudens. It was weird, though, how time had suddenly started going really slowly. Anyway, I was quite glad, and set off down the canal, making the most of some photo-taking.




Was getting really suspicious though as, although it gets dark early here in winter, it seemed way too dark to be 4.40pm. Grabbed my phone and, sure enough, my watch had stopped. Eeek! Momentary panic, until I realised I'd only lost 40 minutes, and I still had plenty of time to get to the station for my train to Montpellier.

I was a little bit confused on the train, about how they kept apologising for the delay when, as far as I was concerned, there wasn't one. And they'd double-booked my seat. So, I kinda think that I may have somehow got on an earlier, delayed train to Montpellier that ended up leaving about the time mine was supposed to. Still not entirely sure, and who cares, 'cos it was easy enough to find another seat, and I got to Montpellier.

Met up with Sabrina... then pretty much straight to bed, as she was already sick, and it was about 10.40pm when I arrived!

1 comment:

  1. Love the story of your adventure, but what happened to the pictures? Waiting.....

    (I just realized I have a URL...Troppo figata!)

    ReplyDelete