Tales of my time as an English language assistant in France!

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Party Like It's 1999: NYE

Sabrina and I were invited to an apéro at Abou's to celebrate NYE. This was good not only for the social side, but because it made me use French. This time, Sabrina and I had ended up speaking English, and therefore my French was deteriorating! However, some people still seemed to think I could barely understand French and tried to speak English to me. Lol.

Anywho, our hosts had been busy preparing food, so we ate very well that night! Chips, nuts, foie gras, chicken, rice, some kind of tasty sauce... sure I've left lots of things out, but you get the idea. And there were, of course, liquid refreshments available.



There were several mentions of playing a game like poker or something of the like... however this never happened. Probably luckily for me, as I don't think I'm made for poker! What did happen was what I can best describe as a circle of dance. One person started and did a few seconds of dancing, then it was the next person's turn, and so on, and so on. This proved to be surprisingly entertaining. Also, I have decided that guys from Mayotte know what they're doing when it comes to dancing! NZ guys could learn some things...!

One of the guys started to teach us some kind of... well, it was kinda like a line dance (I think), but cooler than the typical image I have in my mind of line dancing! However, the size of the living room kinda put constraints on this, and made it kinda difficult for more than 2-3 people to do it at once. However, I still think it would have been epic to watch a group of people (who knew what they were doing) do this. I spent most of my time looking over my shoulder at our 'instructor' because I'd forgotten what step came next!

The threats of teaching us to 'zouk' were realised. As mentioned in another post, Sab had described this dance as "pretty much looking like you're having sex on the dancefloor" (which is why I declared that I was afraid every time they mentioned teaching it to us) and I soon realised she had a point. Anyway, if you want to see what it is like, here's a link. That one really is rather saucy, lol.

However, the boys seemed to think it was hilarious that we found it kinda awkward, and told us several times "n'aie pas peur de moi! C'est que du zouk, il y a pas de mal à ça!" (don't be afraid of me! It's just zouk, it's nothing bad).



Finally, well after midnight, we headed to a nightclub. First one was a total rip-off... we paid for parking only to wait in the cold in a queue and then be told we couldn't get in. Sabrina (and many others in our party) still reckons that the doormen were just being racist... well, their loss. Second club was (thankfully) more successful. Even busted out some zouk when there were appropriate songs and ahem, well, anyway, let's just say that even if I didn't take up the cheeky waiter on his French kiss offer, it was no biggie since another opportunity arose...

1 comment:

  1. hahahahah so funny!!!!!!!!!!
    and "il n'y a pas de mal à ça" is better :D

    ReplyDelete