Tales of my time as an English language assistant in France!

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Essential French in 9 Easy Phrases

Ladies and Gentlemen, I have decided that there are several phrases that anyone coming to France should master, in order to be able to communicate with ease.


  1. C'est bon.
    This means pretty much anything: all good, I'm ok, finished, it's tasty.
    For instance: How is your meal? C'est bon. / When you're wondering if your credit card payment has been accepted: C'est bon? / You've been talking and run out of stuff to say, or have forgotten what you were going to say: Cest bon. / Should I try this food? Oui, c'est bon. / Would you like another cup of tea? C'est bon (I don't need any more).
  2. N'importe quoi.
    Whatever. So, someone says something stupid, and you say "N'importe quoi." However, it's kinda cooler than the English equivalent, because you can say "Ca, c'est n'importe quoi!" (Literally: That is whatever.) This one seems to be kind of a no way/I can't believe they did that/empathise with a friend kinda phrase.
    "So then he told me that he didn't want to go out with me anymore, and that he'd already found a new girlfriend!" "Ca, c'est n'importe quoi!"
    Also, you can talk about people who think they can do "n'importe quoi" (whatever they want). For example, students playing up in a class: "Ils font n'importe quoi!"
  3. Putain.
    This literally means whore but, seriously, if you're in the South West, just throw it in at the end of a sentence, or if you're surprised, if you want to say damn...
    "Putain! Tu m'as fait peur!" = Damn, you gave me a fright. Does not mean that you're calling the person who gave you a fright a whore.
    "Mais, putain, je te l'ai dit mille fois!" = Dammit, I've told you a hundred times!
    "Ecoute-moi, putain!" = Listen to me, dammit!
    "Ce putain de stylo ne marche pas" = My bloody pen won't work.
    See? All-purpose word. Putain, c'est fantastique!
  4. Con.
    Kinda like putain in that it's for cursing, but it more or less means useless/stupid. I know I talked about this in an email, but I didn't save it. Putain! ;p
    "Qu'il est con, ce mec" = God, that guy's an idiot.
    Prendre qqn pour un con = Take someone for an idiot
    "Tu joues à la con ou quoi?" = Are you trying to be an idiot? / Are you playing the fool or something?
    "C'est con (ce ...)." = (This ... is stupid)/ That's stupid.
  5. Prévoir = to plan
    I'm told that the fact I've learned this since coming to France is a little bit ironic, as they rarely plan... but anyway. Useful phrase.
    "T'as prévu quelque chose pour ...?" = Do you have anything planned for ...?
    "C'était pas prévu." = It wasn't planned.
  6. "C'était pour savoir..." = I just wanted to know...
    Sometimes, listening to other people's conversations provides you with just the phrase you've been looking for. This one is very simply explained. Just put it at the front of any inquiry, lol.
    C'était pour savoir... if it's here that I can extend the length of my visa.
    C'était pour savoir... if I could get a key for this classroom.
    C'était pour savoir... where the rugby practice is going to be.
    Etc, etc.
  7. "C'est énorme!" (Literally, that's huge).
    I find myself using this often: not really sure why.
    Can be used literally, eg standing in front of the Notre Dame: "C'est énorme!"
    However, from what I understand, it's also used like "that's a big ask": So, learn your dialogue by heart for next week. "C'est énorme!"
    And I have a 5-hour meeting: "C'est énorme!"
    Or, "It's a 24-hour flight to get back to NZ": "C'est énorme!"
  8. Par contre = however, possibly a bit like 'actually'
    This can be used formally, to show opposition.
    Historically, the Maori party has been more closely allied with the Labour party. Par contre, lately they have moved to have closer relations with the National party.
    However (par contre), I hear it used all the time in spoken language, often just when people want to change the subject slightly.
    Are you going to have lunch with us? No, I'm eating at the canteen today. Par contre, I'll be in the library at 1.
    I told him to come at 3. Par contre, Sally can't come.
  9. Hop là = (more or less) ooh! Possibly "whoa!"
    I don't even know if I've written this correctly, 'cos it's very 'spoken.'
    Someone smashes a glass: Hop là / Someone almost bumps into you in the street: Hop là / Someone appears out of nowhere: Hop là

2 comments:

  1. I don't agree with all of this lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoever that was... I admit that there are quite probably errors in there so feel free to correct!

    ReplyDelete