Tales of my time as an English language assistant in France!

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Galette et Couronne des Rois

I'm just going to completely steal what I wrote in an email about this...

"Discovered a tradition here: la galette des rois, and la couronne des rois. For Epiphany (but it seems to have extended to include before Xmas, and pretty much all of Jan) people eat these yummy cake things, the names of which I listed above. In one of the pieces, there's a fève... I think that's how you spell it. Generally a little porcelain thing, kinda like the hiding a penny or whatever it was in the Xmas pud. And whoever gets this fève puts the crown on and is King for a day. Although, I think someone told me that they can also choose a Queen (or a King, I guess, if a lady gets it). Anywho, (I'm really hoping I've got this the right way around), the galette is kinda like a sweet pie: pastry, with an almondy filling, sometimes frangipani-flavoured... I think there are quite a lot of variations. The couronnne is more of a bread-like thing, shaped like a large doughnut (or crown, logically) with sugary crystals on top. In other words: yum. We should take up this tradition. Oh, and you also drink cider with it. So I'm not complaining."

Picture below was taken at the lycée, as their social club organised to have this spread for the staff. Couronne = the one closest to the camera. Galette = the one at the end of the table.

No comments:

Post a Comment