Tales of my time as an English language assistant in France!

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Montpellier

Montpellier is a nice place. :) It's kinda the image I had in my mind of non-Parisian France, I think. Old buildings, narrow streets, fairly nice weather (still winter, though!).



Also really awesome to see lots of young people, as it's a student town.

Was there with Sabrina, who had lived there for a while when she was studying, so she was up with all the important sights, and played the tour guide for me. I admit that I've actually forgotten which day it was that we did what, so I've kinda randomly grouped stuff...

Impressive big cathedral



Our hotel was quite near the Peyrou Gardens, which offered a pretty decent view over the city.



However, prize for the best (freely-accessible) view definitely goes to the Corum, which was not too far from the Xmas market (another favourite place).



Sabrina wasn't too well one day, so I left her to rest and took off on a walking tour of the old town centre. Even though I had wandered about quite a lot with Sabrina, it was still good to hear the extra stuff that the tourguide said, and there were a few places that I hadn't seen. Including a medieval Jewish 'purification bath'... I'm really not sure what to call this, but it said mikve on the sign, so there you go.

Highlight of the tour: going up the top of the Arc de Triomphe (you can only do this on a tour, ie not open to public)



Sabrina and I haunted the movies in Montpellier. We saw 5 while we were there. So, if anyone would like to know my opinion on: Les Emotifs Anonymes, The Tourist, De Vrais Mensonges, Mon Beau-Pere et Nous (The latest Meet the Fockers movie, whatever it's called in Eng) or Un Balcon sur la Mer; let me know!

Also made a trip to Palavas-les-Flots, a beachy town. Really enjoyed going there, as I think it was the place that most reminded me of Napier. Just because there was sea and a little um, darn, what's it called? harbour? Where the boats were moored...
Then again, it wasn't really much like Napier, but it was a very cute seaside place.



I went on a transcanal thingee (can't explain, so here's a photo...)



Saw it and just couldn't resist. Must have been 'be a big kid' day.

Enjoyed tapas in a resto with a cheeky waiter. I commented to Sabrina at the start that he was quite nice-looking and I almost wonder now if he overheard, 'cos he soon worked out I was English-speaking and started being chatty in English. Then he offered me a 'French kiss' as we left the restaurant!

One day we also did a big walk by the Lez river. It was really pretty! Sabrina likes walking, so she knows all the good spots.



One day, we also caught a free concert in the main square. It was in solidarity for the French hostages in Afghanistan, since that day marked a year since they were taken hostage. There was a real variety of music, some old and some new, and the band right at the end was really awesome. Kinda funk style, I guess, with a couple of guitarists, bass, vocalist, keyboard player, sax/flutist, percussion and kit.


Our hotel was also near the Jardin des Plantes. I've always found this name funny, as it - if translated extremely literally - means garden of plants. As opposed to? However, Sab tells me that it's the equivalent of botanic gardens.
So, had a walk around these gardens, too, which I really liked. Green spaces are always good, and this one had a few sculptures, tunnels, raised pathways, bridges... and this "message tree." If I had more imagination, I'd make a book out of this!

2 comments:

  1. Did you like "The Tourist"? I liked the scenery (like Johnny Depp? oh, yeah...and Venice). Next year around the second week of October :)

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, we did. :) It was pretty good... Couldn't work out how it was going to end.
    Wait, next year or this year for Italy/Scotaly/however it's shaping up?

    ReplyDelete