Tales of my time as an English language assistant in France!

Sunday, February 6, 2011

+ 2 Essential French Words That I Forgot Last Time

  1. Quoi
    Put this at the end of any statement.
    I'm a bit tired, quoi.
    It's not my thing, quoi.
    It's a nice day, quoi.
    She's nice, quoi.
  2. Allez.
    I reckon this can more or less be translated as 'right.' It literally means 'go,' which is why I find it so amusing when I hear people say 'allez, viens' to their kids. (Go, come here... or, rather, 'right/come on/let's go, come here'). Another multi-purpose word.
    Finishing a conversation with someone: Allez, I've got to go.
    Announcing a decision: Allez, what we'll do is...
    Giving instructions to do someone: Allez, you set up the tables.
    Getting attention: Allez, let's start again.

No comments:

Post a Comment