Tales of my time as an English language assistant in France!

Monday, February 21, 2011

Repas des Profs


This turned out to be a hugely entertaining night! One of the teachers that I work with (Gilbert) was an organiser, and he not only shouted me but also kindly drove me and Tessa there.

The restaurant (La Connivance) was really nice (food and atmosphere) and Wilfrid (the guy who
takes the workshops that I do at music school...with the NZ shirt!) and his wife were the musical
entertainment. Although Gilbert also got up and sang at one point.


I kinda got in trouble for not bringing my flute, but I hadn't practised anything so I think I made the right choice!

Tessa and I found ourselves some friends. We had a good chat with them... including Tessa with
Lisiane, despite the fact that Tessa doesn't speak a lot of French, and Lisiane doesn't speak English!


Funny moments there included Lisiane telling Tessa to eat the crust of the cheese (apparently, not very tasty at all) and Tessa trying to teach Lisiane to say 'fork.' I'm sure you can guess
which mistake she made.

The evening started with a Kir (Wikipedia says "Kir is a popular French cocktail made with a measure of crème de cassis (blackcurrant liqueur) topped up with white wine") while we were milling around.

My entrée was a salade lalandaise:
Yes, I was a bit scared of the meat, as I think it may have been 'gizzards,' but I must confess that
it tasted alright. And I had to have foie gras since I'm in the South West.

For the main, steak with morille mushrooms.


Tessa and I both managed to forget to take a picture of the cheese which came along between main and dessert.

Dessert was quite a selection: tarte tatin (more or less apple upside-down tart, I think), some kind of nut nougat thing, some kind of chocolate and coconut thing, a chocolate macaron, fruit jubes and a baba au rhum (A rum baba or baba au rhum is a small yeast cake saturated in liquor, usually rum, and sometimes filled with whipped cream or pastry cream... thanks, Wikipedia). Yum!


It was all finished off with a coffee/tea, during which time Wilfrid's wife taught us all an action
song, and then Wilfrid got everyone to join in on an amusing version of 'Que Je T'Aime,' which involved singing the brass stabs and making animal noises, from what I could gather. The YouTube one is, as Wilfrid said, 'en sérieux'... I prefer his more amusing version. Pure brilliance.

Then it was straight to bed (at about 1am) as Tessa needed to get the train to Toulouse at about 7am the next morning!!!!

However, here we are waiting for the train; I don't reckon we look too worse for wear. (We never
worked out quite why the Police officers were there).



Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment