Tales of my time as an English language assistant in France!

Monday, February 21, 2011

Playing the Tourguide in Saint Gaudens: Day 1 and 2

Hm, I feel very behind in my blogging. Anywho, can catch up a bit later on... For now, straight to recounting Tessa's visit.

Day 1
It started on a good note, with one of my classes being cancelled, meaning I could head in to the airport to get her a little earlier than expected. Huzzah!
By the time we got into Toulouse proper, it was dinner time. I totally failed at finding anywhere typically French (and even a cheap kebab place) and didn't want to make Tessa walk for ages, as she had a pretty big pack. So, we did something kinda French and went to the Quick (it's kinda like French McDonalds).Unfortunately, it was dark by the time we got the train from Toulouse to Saint Go, so she couldn't see the scenery.

Day 2
Since I had no classes, I thought we could do a mission somewhere on the train.
Got up for 7.30am breakfast at the canteen, which was quite good actually, as it meant Tessa got the cultural experience of being greeted with a kiss. :)
Had a bit of time before our train to Tarbes, so walked to one of my fav mountain viewing points. The weather decided to foil my plans; it was too foggy to actually see them.
Fortunately, we got some good mountain views while on the train to Tarbes.


I'd never been to Tarbes before either, so was cool to have a nosey.
We liked the Massey Gardens, where we ate our lunch (even had some cheese, to compensate for the un-French-ness of a packed lunch).


Went around being tourists, taking photos of lots of things, checking out a church and the local Galeries Lafayette, and doing a circuit of the centre of town in a free shuttle.
After that, decided it was time to relax for a bit.

After another wander, and a quick stop at the train station bookshop for magazines and postcards, it was time to hop back on the train.
That night, Tessa once again got to enjoy canteen food... and be amused by the random English that staff members sometimes came up with when I told them she didn't speak much French!

No comments:

Post a Comment