Tales of my time as an English language assistant in France!

Saturday, February 12, 2011

That's (My) Life

Brief snippets of life atm.

  • Invited to have dinner with an English teacher from the lycée... Very nice evening. I ate so well, and probably drank more in that one night and following day (as I ended up staying) than I had since I arrived in France (not that it would take much as, ironically, I've been almost teetotal!). Also listened to old classic French songs, and some créole stuff too.
  • Days that start at 0 degrees, but then get to about 17 in the afternoon.
  • Random bike-rides... I set off in the hope of finding somewhere I haven't been to before (preferably on the flat, as my bike doesn't have gears). This often fills a couple of hours. And, forcément, my camera accompanies me. So I probably spend about as long taking photos as I do biking, but who cares?
  • Trip to Luchon with people from music school to listen to a dude talk about composing music for films/tv series. We were kinda disappointed that it was more about him and his life than how he goes about the composition, but never mind.
  • Once again, chiming in on a family dinner chez my bike owner... and wussing out on trying oysters.
  • Getting the train to the next town on a whim, and spending the morning wandering about in the sun, with sweet mountain views, taking photos, and checking out the cute chapel there.
  • Promising to lend my 'Great NZ Songbook' CD to the PE teachers here so they can listen to NZ music for PE. One teacher then started planning how they could get all their students to do the haka as a warm-up!
  • Monday nights which have suddenly got really full: rock climbing at the collège, and then choir. I'm really popular at choir because they like to see young people coming along. Teehee, it's great. I'm not fully convinced that I'm meant to be a soprano, but I'm happy to stay there 'cos it's an easier part to learn.
  • Listening to cheesy French pop CDs that a teacher lent me. Kids, if you haven't listened to Claude François, then you probably should. (Especially you, Lorenz, if you are reading). Even if you're not a French speaker, you may recognise some songs...
  • Feeling really lazy 'cos Xavier, my flatmate, keeps speaking to me in English, and then I switch into English mode and keep responding to him in English.
  • Trying to read a book in Spanish, which results in me occasionally getting confused with French. Eg, the other day étudier became éstudier because I was thinking of estudiar.
  • Receiving a combined email from 3 of my friends in NZ, who were drunk at the time of writing. Gold.
  • Trying to arrange a way to stay in Europe... this weekend, I meet up with someone about a potential au pair job. So, watch this space (again).

No comments:

Post a Comment