Tales of my time as an English language assistant in France!

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Decisions, Decisions...

I do not like! End of contract is approaching (finish of April) and I have spent some time conisdering the next step. I really considered a lot of things, from renewing my assistantship contract, to doing a working holiday in France or Spain, to au pair work, applying to be an assistant in Spain, or even doing some kind of gap year programme.

I have just recently decided that, unless I find an au pair job within the next 2 months, I'll travel for a bit after the contract and then head back home. It's a shame not to be able to stay in Europe for longer, but I can't deny that I'll be pretty glad to get back to the homeland and see all the folks/friends again!

Basically, visas are super-annoying! So, even if I took the easier option of doing the assistantship thing again, I'd possibly still be visa-less between contracts for a bit (therefore no home base and no right to work and earn myself some more moolah!) and perhaps even have to go back home to renew anyway. Stuff that! I'm not going all the way home just to come back again; I'll at least stay for a while. And, anyway, this year has shown me that I don't want to be a school teacher... so not a lot of point in playing that game for another 7 months. ;p

Unfortunately, that means some more decision-making in terms of career! Come on, Rugby World Cup. Make me a job in Napier that involves hanging around with les Bleus...

2 comments:

  1. Oh, so so sorry to hear this. We were very much hoping you would be meeting us in Cinque Terre and having fun exploring the wonderful Ligurian coast. Beh, maybe next time...or better yet, this time if you change your mind or find an au pair job.

    OR, Spain sound good :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, have had some interest from someone I emailed about an au pair position, so have my fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete